Re: Call for Consensus (CfC): Publish FPWD of "Region Capture"

Comments inline

On Mon, Mar 14, 2022 at 3:49 PM Elad Alon <eladalon@google.com> wrote:

> I wish I could hear earlier that the document did not appear ready to you.
> At any rate, if your set of objections overlaps that of Youenn, then let's
> move forward and converge by Thursday, as you have suggested. Specifically
> which issues do you see as remaining unsettled since Youenn first posted
> his objections? From my POV, only #17 has the ball in my court, and I don't
> think this is an FPWD-blocking issue. We can document disagreement and
> proceed. Or wdyt?
>
> On Mon, Mar 14, 2022 at 8:38 PM Jan-Ivar Bruaroey <jib@mozilla.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Elad, to answer your question: this WG document did not appear ready
>> to me, because
>>
>>    1. it failed to document known outstanding disagreements (they don't
>>    have to be mine)
>>    2. it failed to represent progress that's been made between CfA and
>>    FPW (issues ready for PR)
>>
>> In my view, it's the editor's responsibility (with help from chairs and
>> this process) to ensure the document reflects WG agreement as best as
>> possible. I did comment on 3 of the issues, but to clarify for other
>> members: there's no rule you have to have commented or filed an issue to
>> get a vote— our schedules are busy, so make sure you get your say in while
>> the formal process allows it (which is today on this CfC)
>>
>> On Mon, Mar 14, 2022 at 1:23 PM Elad Alon <eladalon@google.com> wrote:
>>
>>> My objection is mild and could have been avoided by getting the document
>>>

>>> Jan-Ivar, I don't recall unresolved comments or issues you have filed
>>> before the CfC was sent out. Could you explain how this mild objection
>>> could therefore have been avoided?
>>>
>>> Assuming there are no more objections, I propose we spend the time
>>>

>>> Sounds good to me.

The *""API shape issues" disagreements"* here in my objection is a
reference to Youenn's list titled *"API shape issues" *below [1]

These three (#11, #17, #18) reflect disagreement over shape, sync vs.
async, and name, respectively. All three disagreements should be
documented, regardless of who's court the ball is in, is what I meant in my
objection.

Note my objection is in my capacity as a member, not as chair.

As for "ready for PR" issues, I observe that since PRs were not merged
ahead of the CfC, any normative changes they may contain won't have
benefited from broad review. I suppose the chairs will need to exercise
good judgement here of whether a follow-up CfC is needed or not. Hopefully
we can assess the list of PRs on Thursday.

--
.: Jan-Ivar :.