Re: Next steps: Review of mediacapture-transform specification

On 5/18/21 9:03 AM, Youenn Fablet wrote:

>> On 18 May 2021, at 08:06, Bernard Aboba <Bernard.Aboba@microsoft.com
>> <mailto:Bernard.Aboba@microsoft.com>> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks to everyone who reviewed the mediacapture-transform
>> specification and posted Issues in theGithub repo
>> <https://github.com/w3c/mediacapture-transform/issues>.  The Call for
>> Review has now completed.
>>
>> The next step is to understand which of the Issues need to be
>> addressed before initiating a Call for Adoption.  This will help us
>> prepare for a discussion of mediacapture-transform at the WEBRTC WG
>> Virtual Interim onMay 25
>> <https://www.w3.org/2011/04/webrtc/wiki/May_25_2021>.
>
> This seems to induce that we are working towards a call for adoption
> of this particular proposal.
> At this stage, I do not think we should narrow down the discussion
> scope to a specific proposal.
>
> We should probably ask ourselves the same questions we had for webrtc
> encoded transform:
> - threading model (worker, worklet...)
> - memory model (buffering, zero-copy, pixel format)
> - native transforms or not
> - WhatWG streams or not
>
> I think these questions are already filed either in
> media-capture-transform or media-capture-extensions but will add a
> comment to Issue 38.

Once these issues are addressed, the proposal will not be this
particular proposal, but the proposal that is the result of resolving
these issues. That is the proposal that we're working towards adoption of.

I happen to have strong opinions on several of the raised issues, and
hope that the WG will come to a resolution aligned with my opinions, in
which case changes may be modest - but I do think we're working towards
a proposal that can be adopted.