Re: getThisTabMedia

I think you are missing a significant trick here.

This API surface belongs in the Service Worker.

The service worker should be able to return a media stream to any of the pages it is serving, which represents
a region of any page it is serving.

The user just has to agree.

The advantage here is that it solves both Dan and Silvia's usecases, and enforces same-origin in a natural way.
What's more the stream can survive user navigation - which your current proposal can't.

T.