From: Randell Jesup [randell-ietf@jesup.org]
Sent: Wednesday, May 30, 2018 7:53 PM
To: public-webrtc@w3.org
Subject: Re: Raw data APIs - 2 - Access to unencoded data

Den 30. mai 2018 13:42, skrev Stojiljkovic, Aleksandar:

Interface Buffer ... Long long timestamp; // for start of buffer. Definition TBD.

Maybe DOMHighResTimeStamp
<https://www.w3.org/TR/hr-time/#sec-domhighrestimestamp><https://www.w3.org/TR/hr-time/#sec-domhighrestimestamp>, to enable sync
with other events, e.g. Sensor interface
<https://www.w3.org/TR/generic-sensor/#the-sensor-interface><https://www.w3.org/TR/generic-sensor/#the-sensor-interface>.

DOMHighResTimeStamp is convenient for absolute times, when it's clear
what it's related to (time the light hit the camera sensor?). For
playback of stored media, we might want to use a clock relative to the
start of the media; I know there are various well known apps for doing
things like time-stretching of videos - I'm not sure how that would be
representable in an API.

I'll note that any use of high-resolution timers by apps may be constrained by the wonders of Spectre mitigation for some time.   It would be nice to un-fuzz the timers, but even once one  has implemented fission/site-isolation/whatever-edge-will-call-it, lots of high-res clock sources make it super-easy to do spectre attacks. :-(

--
Randell Jesup -- rjesup a t mozilla d o t com
Please please please don't email randell-ietf@jesup.org<mailto:randell-ietf@jesup.org>!  Way too much spam

Intel Finland Oy
Registered Address: PL 281, 00181 Helsinki
Business Identity Code: 0357606 - 4
Domiciled in Helsinki