Re: Why QUIC is better than sliced bread

On Mon, Mar 5, 2018 at 3:04 PM Michael Tuexen <
michael.tuexen@lurchi.franken.de> wrote:

> > On Mar 5, 2018, at 11:57 PM, Peter Thatcher <pthatcher@google.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > I agree entirely with the transport/security/media split and that this
> is a change to clean things up.
> >
> > I thought about this years ago with media over DTLS/SCTP, since it would
> largely accomplish the same thing.  But I couldn't get over how many round
> trips would be needed to set it all up.  Then QUIC came along and solved
> that problem.
> Won't DTLS 1.3 provide a 0-RTT connection setup similar to QUIC?

Yes.

> Adding a 0-RTT connection setup for
> SCTP is straight forward, since you don't need the cookie protection when
> running on top of DTLS.

If that happens and SCTP gets BBR or other real-time friendly congestion
control, then it will be a lot more reasonable to use for media.

A set of low-level  APIs we make should make it so the app can choose which
transport it wants: either DTLS+SCTP or QUIC or SRTP (within limits; we
probably don't want an SRTP data channel).