Re: My personal input to the WebRTC-NV discussions

> On 7 Nov 2017, at 07:24, Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no> wrote:
>
> I've tried to put together my thinking about what I think we should try
> to achieve with WebRTC-NV.
>
> Chiefly, I've tried to look for the principles: What we should keep on
> doing, what we should make it possible to live without, and what we
> should extend further.

This is good. Thanks for doing it.

I’d add one meta-point here: We need to make webRTC a first-class citizen in the
web browser, it needs to mesh with other web APIs and tools in the developers mind.

Adding promises and receivers are a big step in the right direction.

As examples, I’ve hit a couple of roadblocks in the last week:

1) WebRTC datachannel can’t be used in web or service workers - web sockets can.
2) You can’t get at the codecs. So I can’t send Opus over the datachannel or
hack my own ultralow bitrate codec in javascript and send it over srtp.

On the plus side, I’ve been doing neat things with the integration between webAudio
and webRTC, which illustrates the benefits of being a full part of the browser toolkit.

I’m looking forward to the detailed discussions.

Tim.