Re: Summary of replace track status

On 5/22/15 6:09 PM, Peter Thatcher wrote:
> Thank you for the example.
>
> I don't view that as "needs renegotiation" as much as "the RtpSender
> was configured to send in a codec it's not capable of sending". Once
> we, someday, have direct  control of RtpSenders (sans SDP), the
> browser would basically view this as "JS told me to do something I
> can't do".

Or hopefully "something I can do". I hope getting rid of
SDP-renegotiation will mean getting rid of the need for it, rather than
getting rid of what it provides. ;)

+1 on replaceTrack not triggering renegotiation, since the whole reason
for its existence is to avoid renegotiation. Therefore, people would
probably rather it fail than trigger renegotiation, or they would have
used addTrack/removeTrack. It's also easy enough to fall back to
addTrack/removeTrack if so desired.

>   And if you view SetLocalDescription/SetRemoteDescription as a very
> poor API for controlling RtpSenders (which, in reality, it is), then
> this is also a case of "JS told me to do something I can't".  And all
> the browser can do is either throw an exception or send nothing.
>
> Thus, I think we can make a general rule of "If the application
> configures the RtpSender to do something impossible it either throws
> an exception or sends nothing".

Certainly, RtpSender should not be required to do the impossible, but if
you include anything requiring renegotiation in this, then I think that
would need to be in the form of a proposal, since the spec says [1]:

"When attributes on an |RTCRtpSender| are modified, the encoding is
either changed appropriately, or a negotiation is triggered to signal
the new encoding parameters to the other side."

[1] http://w3c.github.io/webrtc-pc/#rtcrtpsender-interface

.: Jan-Ivar :