Re: API points for ICE/DTLS warmup

On 24/07/15 13:21, Peter Thatcher wrote:

> B > A, because an RtpSender without a track seems cleaner than a dummy
> track. But I could live with A.
>
> D > C, because we don't have to add anything.  I think we shouldn't add
> RtpReceiver.active.
>
> F > E, because we don't have to add anything.  I think that even if we
> add RtpReceiver.active, it should not cause an SDP renegotiation, just
> like RtpSender.setParameters doesn't.

I agree on all points.

But there are some details that needs sorting, e.g.

- Currently we have "ontrack" firing. It should not fire if an empty
sender/receiver pair was created, would we need another event to inform
the app at the receiving side?

- So far we've said that 'replace track' should not change the track id
at the remote side and that no SDP exchange would be needed (at least
not in most cases - Jan-Ivar has the view SDP exchanges could result
from replaceTrack, we need to sort this). How should that be dealt with
here? If the purpose is to "warm" the connection, ideally we should not
need any SDP exchange to get the media flowing, but in this case we have
no initial track id.