Re: Javascript based browser API to send/receive the RTCP APP messages

> On 01/09/2015 06:05 AM, Bibhudatta Biswal wrote:
>>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> We are currently working on a project to support Push-to-talk over
>> cellular (PoC) service on WebRTC platform*. *The POC service is based
>> on OMA standards which specifies specific RTCP APP messages to be
>> used for Floor/Media Burst Control. Currently we don’t see any
>> browser API (JavaScript) available which can be used by the browser
>> application to send and receive the RTCP APP messages from the
>> underline WebRTC engine/framework. Can you please let us know if this
>> is going to be supported in the future releases so that the PoC
>> service can be provided on WebRTC platform through browser?
>>
>> Thanks & Regards,
>>
>> Bibhu
>>

> There are no plans to support general RTCP message generation.
>
> If support for a specific RTCP functionality is useful for a specific
> purpose, we need to have someone who understands those messages and
> the applications that can be built from them come up with a proposal,
> and make the case that this is important enough to spend browser
> implementation/support resources on.
>
> The first step would be to make sure there exist IETF specifications
> for the RTCP APP messages and their application that can be referenced.

I would suggest an alternative:

APP is a poor-man's stand-in for what WebRTC provides in DataChannels
(been there, done that, used APPs with manual paced retransmits/etc).
My suggestion would be to directly map the RTCP APP messages to
DataChannel messages (if you want it to really be like RTCP, make them
unreliable DataChannels).  If you need to talk to legacy equipment that
requires RTCP APPs, you have to be going through a webrtc->legacy
gateway anyways, so in the gateway translate DataChannel datagrams to
RTCP APPs.

--
Randell Jesup -- rjesup a t mozilla d o t com