Re: W3C WebRTC WG Virtual Face to Face - 14 out of 75+ participants?

From: Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2015 15:00:13 +0100
To: public-webrtc@w3.org
On 12/17/2015 01:44 PM, Bernard Aboba wrote:

> Erik said:
>

> “Guys and gals, if we are to make a go of this Virtual meeting thing
> we really would like to see a better showing than 14 people.”
>

> [BA] I agree that this would be good to get a better response to the
> Doodle – but why should the requirements for Virtual meeting
> attendance be dramatically different than for a face-to-face meeting?
>

> In the IETF there is a rule that major decisions need to be confirmed
> on the mailing list – if we invoke that here, someone who can’t make
> the meeting can speak up on the list.

The point of a face-to-face meeting is that it has higher bandwidth than
email - in particular, a more rapid exchange of viewpoints.

When we have things that are hard to resolve on the list, it only makes
sense to try to resolve them in a face-to-face if the principal actors
who need convincing (or people they trust to argue / be convinced for
them) are present - so that when they reach a meeting of minds, it
actually convinces people.

If we don't have that, I think the value of a face-to-face is limited.