Re: Issue 391: Remove DTMF tones A-D

From: Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2015 10:29:45 +0100
To: public-webrtc@w3.org
Den 01. des. 2015 22:39, skrev Roman Shpount:
> I have already submitted the WG last call
> comment: https://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/rtcweb/current/msg15356.html
>
> If there is a general agreement regarding what needs to be implemented,
> I can propose the text for the draft. Most likely we will need a section
> regarding RFC 4733 DTMF tones.
>
> From the WebRTC client implementation point of view it would be easier
> to support DTMF tones A through D then to block them, so I would suggest
> going that route. If all the people who used to write modem scripts
> managed to deal with this issue, I am sure JavaScript programmers would
> be able to successfully deal with 4 extra tones.

This is a matter of conformance.
If A-F get thrown away by the lower layers, because they conform to the
IETF spec, and the API spec requires them to be handled, the client as a
whole is not conformant to the API spec.

So the only thing that makes sense is for our requirement to track
what's in rtcweb-audio.

WRT clients' ease of handling: Next time you see a virtual keypad on
your screen, look for the A-F keys. That's where the real difficulty of
support comes in.