Re: Proposal: offerDataChannel in RTCOfferOptions

From: Jan-Ivar Bruaroey <jib@mozilla.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2015 20:08:02 -0400
To: Iñaki Baz Castillo <ibc@aliax.net>
CC: Peter Thatcher <pthatcher@google.com>, Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>, Benjamin Schwartz <bemasc@google.com>, "public-webrtc@w3.org" <public-webrtc@w3.org>
On 4/28/15 6:14 PM, Iñaki Baz Castillo wrote:
>> Also, shouldn't it be offerToReceiveDataChannel?
> AFAIK there is no "a=recvonly" for DataChannels.

Sure, but it's not 1-1 offerToReceiveVideo/Only/. (e.g.
pc.addTrack(video) + createOffer({ offerToReceiveVideo:true }) =>
"a=sendrecv". So flags are higher-level. I meant "receive" in the
broadest sense of "I have no intent to send data your way, but in case
you intend to send data my way, here's friendlier SDP for that without
renegotiation, since I'm going first.

>> I thought the idea here was:
>>
>>    offerer: "I don't have a datachannel but I don't mind if you do."
>>    answerer: "I do have a datachannel for you, thanks for asking!"
>>
>> That, or the (near) symmetry may be confusing me about what we're solving.
> I understand it as follows:
>
> offerer: "I don't want to create a DataChannel right now, but I offer
> it to you right now so we can have it ready now if you want, so we
> avoid renegotiation".

We're on the same page.

.: Jan-Ivar :.