ReplaceTrack failure modes (Re: ReplaceTrack vs RTPSender.track = new)

A number of different issues in this message - I'm changing the subject
again.

Note that in this particular case, I was only considering the issues
that can happen within the scope of ReplaceTrack - the browser can fire
negotiationneeded all it wants, but it's the Javascript's decision when
(and whether) to actually perform a negotiation.

So the specification for ReplaceTrack has to say what ReplaceTrack does
in advance of negotiation; there's a separate part where we consider
what negotiation does after ReplaceTrack is called.

On 04/17/2015 07:39 AM, Jan-Ivar Bruaroey wrote:
> Hi Harald, I had some trouble following the example with my knowledge,
> and have some questions if you don't mind.
>
> On 4/15/15 3:31 AM, Harald Alvestrand wrote:
>> In mulling over this issue, I've been thinking about failure cases,
>> and about negotiated constraints.
>>
>> Consider this case:
>>
>> A negotiates with B to send video
>> The agreeed capabilities for B is 320x200 max (it's a doorbell, I
>> guess).
>
> I'm not sure what "negotiated constraints" means. Are we talking about
> session (e.g. hardware) abilities in SDP here (I assume so since you
> mention doorbell)?
>
> If so, then doesn't the 320x200 track need to be added first in order
> to negotiate video?

The Dallas agreement wrt imageattr was that the SDP sent from B to A
would contain the line
a=imageattr:<type> recv [w=1:320 h=1:200]
(if I remember the syntax right).

>> A sends a track to B with 320x200 format.
>
> If the track somehow wasn't added first, but is added later instead, A
> would need to renegotiate, right? Say it was an HD track, how would it
> work/fail today?

All this is out of scope for ReplaceTrack. (I think our current
assumption is that there will be downsampling done inside PeerConnection
somewhere).

>> A does ReplaceTrack with a HD track (currently also being displayed
>> in HD somewhere else).
>>
>> Three possibilities:
>>
>> - A downsamples to 320x200 as (conceptuaully) an internal function of
>> the PeerConnection
>
> My understanding of SDP is limited (assuming we are talking about
> SDP). What does A know about B's abilities beyond the answer, which is
> a subset of the offer, which, as I understand it, would only (need to)
> cover the 320x200 track added?

Note that ReplaceTrack has to work the same whether A was the offerer or
B was the offerer.

> Both PRs say "Things like dimensions and frame rate do not require
> negotiation." - I relied on other people when writing that, but this
> may assume things about the other end.

Yep. I think you were advised badly.
> For example, in ideal cases where the recipient is much like the
> sender (e.g. a local-loop test), we can replaceTrack between tracks
> with different dimensions and frameRates, and the recipient handles
> the change without renegotiation (works in Firefox:
> http://jsfiddle.net/oyabqd0j )! This is powerful, but a doorbell would
> probably react poorly to this, so how to detect this ahead of time
> from the SDP?

that's the difference between operating in a homogenous environment
(even Firefox-to-Chrome is a relatively homogenous environment) and
making standards that work for everyone...

> Does the doorbell wreck it for everybody?
>
>> - A treats B's restrictions as (new) constraints on the track, and
>> all other users switch to 320x200
>
> In replaceTrack? No, PeerConnections can't change constraints.
> Constraints is a gUM concept. To a PeerConnection, a track here is a
> hose with video coming out of it. It can clamp the hose, but otherwise
> has little control over what comes out of it. The knobs on the hose
> (applyConstraints) are for the website to mess with, not
> PeerConnection, so whatever "A" is in the example, it can't be
> PeerConnection.

"treats as" is the operative word. Check the illustration in section 5
of getusermedia (which doesn't illustrate one track with multiple
destinations, though.) The sink can offer limitations that have to be
considered together with the constraints explicitly set on the track.

> If A, the website, wants to change camera constraints, then that's on
> it to manage (though how would it learn of B's hardware limitations in
> this case?)
>
>> - ReplaceTrack fails
>
> You skipped renegotiation, but I suspect our current implementation
> would neither fail nor renegotiate over this (see two up). I confess
> not having tested a doorbell.

Yes, see top of message.

>> Replay the same case where the source of the new track is a VP8-only
>> camera, and B says it can only take H.264 (I guess it's a gateway).
>>
>> Three possibilities:
>>
>> - A transcodes the video internally to PeerConnection
>
> What do we do today for renegotiation? The PR notes " Reasons
> negotiation may be needed include video differing in raw vs.
> pre-encoded format".

See top of message.

>> - A inserts transcoding at the source
>
> Again, can't alter the source AFAIK.

Yes, it can, as long as it remains within the constraints demanded by
all tracks attached to the source. Again, section 5.

>> - ReplaceTrack fails
>
> We probably fire negotiationneeded instead here.

But what happens to the track while we wait for the JS to decide whether
it wants to negotiate or not?
Perhaps "negotiationneeded" is a failure?

>> And of course the weird one:
>>
>> A does ReplaceTrack, trying to replace an audio track with a video
>> track.
>
> This one is covered in both PRs:
>
>   * "1. If withTrack's kind attribute differs from the kind of
>     RTCRtpSender.track, then reject p with
>     IncompatibleMediaStreamTrackError and abort these steps."
>   * "3. If newTrack's kind attribute differs from the kind of
>     oldTrack, then throw an IncompatibleMediaStreamTrackError
>     exception and abort these steps."

I'd missed that - somehow I got the idea that assignments aren't
supposed to throw.

> I would love to understand the example, even if the conclusion of the
> subject is foregone, as it may have wider implications to what's
> possible with replaceTrack and what's not.

Yes, no matter what the syntax looks like, we have to know exactly what
actions are performed.