Re: replaceTrack proposal

From: Jan-Ivar Bruaroey <jib@mozilla.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2015 02:25:53 -0400
To: Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>, Erik Lagerway <erik@hookflash.com>
CC: Peter Thatcher <pthatcher@google.com>, "public-webrtc@w3.org" <public-webrtc@w3.org>
On 4/14/15 4:56 PM, Martin Thomson wrote:
> If setTrack() was an acceptable name, then we would be better off with:
>
>    sender.track = theReplacement;

sender.track is one of the proposals.
https://github.com/w3c/webrtc-pc/pull/196

By extension I can't see anything logically wrong with setTrack as a
name for the method version. Once we add more properties to RtpSender,
the "replace" language may not carry over well.

> As I understand it, replaceTrack can fail, asynchronously, if the
> underlying track is incapable of producing a compatible RTP stream.
> That might not be the case in current implementations, but those
> implementations are probably not using encoding cameras that can't
> change codecs.

Is this not deterministic? For comparison, where would one learn of such
failures from tracks added with pc.addTrack()?

.: Jan-Ivar :.