Re: Proposal: Fire a toneDiscarded event while discarding the invalid DTMF values.

From: Adam Bergkvist <adam.bergkvist@ericsson.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2014 09:24:25 +0200
To: Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>, Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>
CC: Stefan HÃ¥kansson LK <stefan.lk.hakansson@ericsson.com>, tim panton <thp@westhawk.co.uk>, "Makaraju, Maridi Raju (Raju)" <Raju.Makaraju@alcatel-lucent.com>, Justin Uberti <juberti@google.com>, Kiran Kumar Guduru <kiran.guduru@samsung.com>, "public-webrtc@w3.org" <public-webrtc@w3.org>
On 2014-06-14 21:22, Martin Thomson wrote:
> On 14 June 2014 02:19, Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no> wrote:
>>> FWIW, I'm with Tim on this one. I also think it makes it clearer -
>>> either the UA throws, or it sends all symbols.
>> FWIW, I think the spec will be simpler if we throw
>> IllegalCharacterException on strings that contain any character except
>> [0-9A-Da-d*#,], and have no special treatment at sendout time (illegal
>> characters can't occur there).
> FWIW, FWIW isn't necessary.  This is simply good design.  Having
> something blow up early avoids nasty deferred surprises.

So after a little detour we're back at the same set of recognized
characters, but we throw instead of ignore. As a result, the problem
that started this thread doesn't exist anymore.

Let's put this into the spec.