Re: Summary of "What is missing for building real services" thread

We maintain native API bindings for PeerConnection for Android (Java) and
iOS (ObjC). They sits atop a C++ PeerConnection implementation (which also
powers the JS impl in Chrome), and all mirror the W3C API fairly well. Is
this not sufficient?

On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 11:11 AM, cowwoc <cowwoc@bbs.darktech.org> wrote:

> Iñaki,
>
> I don't know why you seem to feel so threatened by this proposal. I'm
> simply highlighting the fact that authors of native WebRTC applications and
> headless servers have a need for such a library. Whether I personally work
> on it or not does not invalidate that point. I'm bringing it to the
> community's attention and we'll see where it goes from here. If nothing
> happens, so be it, but at least interested parties see that they're not
> alone. We are in a better place to collaborate with each other once we see
> who else is interested.
>
> Gili
>

> On 17/01/2014 12:56 PM, Iñaki Baz Castillo wrote:
>
>> Ok, do it.

>>> I'm saying the specification must lock down the JS API, and in parallel
>>> the
>>> Native API should try to mirror the capabilities of the JS API but that
>>> is
>>> an asynchronous process outside the scope of the specification.
>>>
>>> To reiterate: the point of this API is *not* code portability but rather
>>> baseline or proof of concept showing *one way* to implement each one of
>>> the
>>> features. Meaning: I am not asking all vendors to use the same API
>>> design,
>>> but I am saying we should put out a *reference implementation* that shows
>>> them an example of how it can be done.
>>>

>>>  But you cannot tell to a W3C or IETF group that "we need a reference
>>>>

>>> Not true. Regardless of how good the spec is, it takes a non-trivial
>>> amount
>>> of time/effort to implement the spec from the ground up and most of
>>> pieces
>>> are not interesting from an innovation point of view. We should be able
>>> reuse code from the reference implementation (avoid reinventing the
>>> wheel)
>>> for components that we don't care about, and focus our innovation/effort