Re: [SPAM] Re: What is missing for building "real" services?

From: Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 10:20:13 +1100
To: Justin Uberti <juberti@google.com>
Cc: Tim Panton new <thp@westhawk.co.uk>, Jan-Ivar Bruaroey <jib@mozilla.com>, public-webrtc <public-webrtc@w3.org>, Alexandre Gouaillard <agouaillard@gmail.com>, Randell Jesup <randell-ietf@jesup.org>
On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 10:09 AM, Justin Uberti <juberti@google.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 3:05 PM, Silvia Pfeiffer <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 9:34 AM, Justin Uberti <juberti@google.com> wrote:
>> > Blocking HTTPS makes it impossible to share a Google Docs doc or
>> > presentation
>> >
>> > Look, this is a hard problem, and we've come to a point where use of the
>> > screensharing feature in Chrome requires jumping through a hoop (i.e.
>> > installing an extension), but not a ridiculously difficult one. I
>> > suspect
>> > that web applications will find fairly elegant ways to incorporate this
>> > into
>> > their flow.
>>
>> It's not just the Chrome extension that you need - you will need one
>> for every browser. Also, what do you do on mobile devices? There is
>> nothing elegant about installing browser extensions.
>

> Developers are pretty good at making do with what is available. I've seen
> some pretty slick demos that show you can build a nice experience even with
> the current state of affairs.
>

>> WebRTC brings the promise to not have to deal with extensions and
>> screensharing is a core feature of video conferencing applications. It
>> just makes no sense to me to ignore this requirement for WebRTC and
>> push it into a browser extension. It's a step back in technology. I
>> think we need to think harder about how to solve this problem in a way
>> that makes it part of the Web platform. I think we've given up too
>> quickly.
>

> I don't think anyone's given up. It's just that it's not the only problem to
> solve right now.

Good to know. I had the impression this far that we had come to a
conclusion on this and there wasn't going to be any native
screensharing.

So we can continue the brainstorming.

This far we have the following proposals:
1. whitelist HTTP pages, black-out HTTPS pages
2. black-out all pages except for thos having a <meta
name="screensharing" content="allow"/> tag

Silvia.