Re: What is missing for building "real" services?

On 01/10/2014 11:36 AM, Tim Panton new wrote:

> On 6 Jan 2014, at 10:01, Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no
> <mailto:harald@alvestrand.no>> wrote:
>
>> On 01/06/2014 10:55 AM, Tim Panton new wrote:

>>> Or perhaps 'live with it 'till 2.0' - I can't imagine the SDP mess
>>> will survive a major revision of the spec - it is just too clumsy.
>>
>> I'm looking forward to the proposals being worked out in the ORCA
>> group maturing to the point where it's possible to prove that they
>> can be used to communicate with 1.0 implementations (or even emulate
>> their API).
>
> That's un-provable. The SDP subset offered by 1.0 is (and will remain)
> sufficiently vague that it will never be possible to be sure that
> you've handled all the possible variants. That means that ORCA can at
> best demonstrate interop with current 1.0 implementations.
> If you are expecting rigour from a system involving SDP you are
> setting them up to fail.

Sure. I'm talking about demonstrating the ability to communicate in at
least one case, not about proving that it's possible in every case.

Until we have that first demo of interoperability, we don't have
interoperability.

(Old saw of the week: "There are no portable programs. There are just
programs that have been ported.")

--
Surveillance is pervasive. Go Dark.