Re: What is missing for building "real" services?

I'm not sure what you're arguing here. Nobody says it's not
a useful feature, but that doesn't make the security problems
vanish. Similarly, nobody is saying that the browsers won't
support this feature but I don't believe we're ready to offer
it with the same low level of informed consent that is used
for camera and microphone. Perhaps Justin will correct me
if Chrome has different plans.../

-Ekr

On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 9:19 PM, Alex Gouaillard
<alex.gouaillard@temasys.com.sg> wrote:
> [...]
>>> like dropped frames than the ear.
>>>
>>> I'd love to see a trace/packet-capture/screen-scrape-recording where
>>> you see
>>> that apparent behavior.
>>>

>>> - call controls like mute / hold
>>> Right now, you can mute a local stream, but it does not seem to be
>>> possible
>>> to let the remote peers know about the stream being muted. We ended up
>>> implementing a specific off band message for that, but we believe that
>>> the
>>> stream/track could carry this information. This is more important for
>>> video
>>> than audio, as a muted video stream is displayed as a black square,
>>> while a
>>> muted audio as no audible consequence. We believe that this mute / hold
>>> scenario will be frequent enough, that we should have a standardized
>>> way of
>>> doing it, or interop will be very difficult.
>>>

>>> There is no underlying standard in IETF for communicating this; it's
>>> typically at the application level.  And while we don't have good ways
>>> in
>>> MediaStream to do this yet, I strongly prefer to send an fixed image
>>> when
>>> video-muted/holding.  Black is a bad choice....
>>>
>>> It would be nice if browsers sent an image, such as "video on hold" -
>>> just like they provide default 404 page renderings. This is a quality
>>> of implementation issue then. Maybe worth registering a bug on
>>> browsers. But also might be worth a note in the spec.
>>>

>>> - screen/application sharing
>>> We are aware of the security implications, but there is a very very
>>> strong
>>> demand for screen sharing. Beyond screen sharing, the capacity to share
>>> the
>>> displayed content of a given window of the desktop would due even
>>> better.
>>> Most of the time, users only want to display one document, and that
>>> would
>>> also reduce the security risk by not showing system trays.
>>> Collaboration
>>> (the ability to let the remote peer edit the document) would be even
>>> better,
>>> but we believe it to be outside of the scope of webRTC.
>>>

>>> yes, and dramatically more risky.  Screen-sharing and how to preserve
>>> privacy and security is a huge problem.  Right now the temporary kludge
>>> is
>>> to have the user whitelist services that can request it (via extensions
>>> typically)
>>>
>>> Yeah, I'm really unhappy about the screen sharing state of affairs,
>>> too. I would much prefer it became a standard browser feature.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Silvia.
>>>
>>>    Randell
>>>

>>> - NAT / Firewall penetration feedback - ICE process feedback
>>> Connectivity is a super super pain to debug, and the number one cause
>>> concern.
>>> 1. The 30s time out on chrome generated candidate is biting a lot of
>>> people.
>>> The time out is fine, but there should be an error message that
>>> surfaces
>>> (see 5)
>>> 2. Turn server authentication failure does not generate an error, and
>>> should
>>> (see 5)
>>> 3. ICE state can stay stuck in "checking" forever even after all the
>>> candidate have been exhausted
>>> 4. Not all ICE states stated in the spec are implemented (completed?
>>> fail?)
>>> 5. It would due fantastic to be able to access the list of candidates,
>>> with
>>> their corresponding status (not checked, in use, failed, ….) with the
>>> cause
>>> for failure
>>> 6. In case of success, it would be great to know which candidate is
>>> being
>>> used (google does that with the googActive thingy) but also what is the