Re: gUM's optional constraints algorithm penalizes user-choice chasing best-match for webpage

On 09/02/2013 07:55 AM, Dominique Hazael-Massieux wrote:
> Le samedi 31 août 2013 à 10:26 -0700, Martin Thomson a écrit :
>> On 31 August 2013 00:43, Jan-Ivar Bruaroey <jib@mozilla.com> wrote:
>>> The reason this works is that our (unchanged) core "remove-from-list"
>>> algorithm ignores zero-reducing optional constraints, which makes it more
>>> lenient the smaller the starting set is.
>> I'd go even further and not remove anything that is marked with an
>> optional constraint.  I'd use optional constraints to select a
>> default, and maybe to order sources.
> That also sounds good to me as well; in particular, it reduces the
> unbalance of optional constraints as a all or nothing approach (either
> all the optional constraints are satisfied, or none will be particularly
> sought to be satisfied).
Dom, I can't parse that sentence in the context of the current algorithm.

1) The use of the word "unbalance" seems to indicate that there are two
things that could concievably be kept in balance. I can't tell what the
two things are.

2) I can't parse how the optional constraints mechanism (a sequence that
is used to iteratively reduce the candidate configuration set, stopping
when applying the next constraint would reduce the candidate
configuration set to zero) fits with the description of "a all or
nothing approach".

So obviously I am not parsing your language properly. Could you please
help me?