Re: WebRTC spec errata (regarding states)

From: Adam Bergkvist <adam.bergkvist@ericsson.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 16:33:52 +0100
To: Justin Uberti <juberti@google.com>
CC: "public-webrtc@w3.org" <public-webrtc@w3.org>, Per Kjellander <perkj@google.com>, Mallinath Bareddy <mallinath@google.com>, Harald Alvestrand <hta@google.com>
Hi

I've pushed a few changes just now.

Github spec:
http://htmlpreview.github.com/?https://github.com/fluffy/webrtc-w3c/blob/master/webrtc.html

Last change:
https://github.com/fluffy/webrtc-w3c/commit/04e58a875d1926e03b6faf389f5d558f2d82136a

On 2013-03-11 15:39, Justin Uberti wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 5:10 AM, Adam Bergkvist
> <adam.bergkvist@ericsson.com <mailto:adam.bergkvist@ericsson.com>> wrote:
>
>     What's the result of a fatal error? Close the PeerConnection?
>
>     What should errorType be in this case,
>     INCOMPATIBLE_SESSION___DESCRIPTION?
>

> I think this would be the dreaded INTERNAL_ERROR; the PC is essentially
> in an undefined state at this point, and the application should discard
> it. The session description might have been fine, but we just exploded
> when trying to apply it.

Ok. We need to specify how that would work. I guess this isn't the only
way to end up in such a state. Do you have any suggestions for this text?

> We could also have a INCOMPATIBLE_SESSION_DESCRIPTION error that
> indicates that there was some bad value in the SDP, but rollback was
> possible and the state has returned to the previous state.

Ok. We just need to tweak the existing text a little to get this behaivor.

>     My point was that I didn't want to extend the description of the
>     callback because it's the wrong place do document this kind of
>     behavior. That was basically the motivation for the new text about
>     how the ICE Agent talks to the script.
>

> OK - I'll wait for the updated version of the spec to see where you
> chose to document it. I don't really mind as long as it's in there
> somewhere.

I've updated the text about how the ICE Agent notifies the script and
included the gathering state transition to "completed" as you suggested
on github.

>         I do think we need some
>         way to specify when the gathering state transition to
>         "completed" occurs.

/Adam