Re: Teleco Integrators vs Web Developers vs Browser Implementers

Thanks - and in some ways that's absolutely true about security
requirements. If we don't have a document that explains each choice
along the way, things can be overlooked if you try some new approach.

Even though security is obviously really important, the larger issue I'm
finding is knowing what exactly must be supported use case wise,
especially in the context of being compatible with legacy/existing
systems, including all the on-the-wire oddities that can happen, e.g.
the mapping of streams, tracks, ssrcs, dtls muxing, multitrack payload
based demuxing, CNAME correlation, video rules, incoming unmapped RTP
tracks/streams, CNAME/RTP correlation race, SSRC collision, pre-mapping
requirements, forking, etc.

Sure makes it fun! We'll undoubtedly get some stuff wrong. But hopefully
the model is right so it's a matter of tweaking the parameters and rules
to follow.

I can fully appreciate the reasons why the original design went down the
SDP path. I think most people knew SDP was wonky. Having everything
described in details in some master blob made the wire easier to
understand. But that blob makes a horrible programmers interface with
bad control and with lots of short/long term problems/consequence. I
think there's a way to fix this API to make it semi-palatable for JS
developers, make it on-the-wire compatible/understandable and achieve
the requirement goals specified for WebRTC (even if they are a bit vague
in some areas still).

We are giving it our best to fix this situation...

-Robin