Re: Improve error message when browser denies access to getUserMedia()

+1 to that (as long as DEVICE_NOT_AVAILABLE includes both system errors
and truly "not available" so it doesn't provide a fingerprinting issue).

Also, thanks for pointing out where the PERMISSION_DENIED came from
Silvia 8) I was looking in the wrong spec (must have been tired).

So in this case the bug should be filed with Chrome and not Firefox.
 From my tests the latest version of Chrome doesn't return
PERMISSION_DENIED.

As for your question:

   "JS can react and read what constraints the device supports
    (do we have such an API??)"

There's:

MediaStreamTrack.capabilities()
Returns a dictionary with all of the capabilities for the track type.

   6. Source capabilities
   Each constraint that is supported by an implementation MUST have an
   associated capability that will be returned in the result of a call
   to the capabilities() method. ...

e.g.
   dictionary AllVideoCapabilities {
       CapabilityList?  sourceType;
       CapabilityList?  sourceId;
       CapabilityRange? width;
       CapabilityRange? height;
       CapabilityRange? frameRate;
       CapabilityList?  facingMode;
   };

and

MediaStreamTrack.states()
Returns an object containing all the state variables associated with the
allowed constraints.

   5. Source states
   ... In the same way that the current set of constraints can be
   returned on a track using the constraints() method, the states()
   method on a track returns the values of the state variables
   associated with all capabilities, as the MediaSourceStates object. ...

e.g.
   dictionary MediaSourceStates {
       SourceTypeEnum       sourceType;
       DOMString            sourceId;
       unsigned long?       width;
       unsigned long?       height;
       float?               frameRate;
       VideoFacingModeEnum? facingMode;
       unsigned long?       volume;
   };

I need to do some more testing to clearly understand how these relate to
each other, especially in the error conditions as in this case the
MediaStream and therefore it's MediaStreamTrack's are not available so I
assume these will simply not be able to be used. However, Firefox and
Chrome haven't implemented these MST methods yet.

roBman