Re: Improve error message when browser denies access to getUserMedia()

From: Martin Thomson <martin.thomson@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2013 20:17:14 -0700
To: Rob Manson <roBman@mob-labs.com>
Cc: "public-webrtc@w3.org" <public-webrtc@w3.org>
On 24 July 2013 17:33, Rob Manson <roBman@mob-labs.com> wrote:
> There is a real benefit to return a different error response based on
> whether the user denied access or the system failed to gain access.

It turns out that the two are equivalent, 100%.  Whether you knew it
or not, telling Chrome[1] to reject a request for microphone access is
something that is persistent.  You are asking Chrome to reject all
future attempts to access that microphone.  So, when a site asks again
later, it is YOU, not your browser that rejects the request.

I can't believe the length of this thread.  If you don't like the
behavior of your browser, either change browsers, or ask the
developers nicely to fix it.  If, as I suspect is the case here, it's
your users that inadvertently disadvantage themselves, the latter
option might be the best approach, but changing the spec is a very
long lever, and the wrong one in this case.

[1] I don't want to pick on Chrome specifically here, but I know that
is how they operate.