RE: On babies and bathwater (was Re: [rtcweb] Summary of Application Developers' opinions of the current WebRTC API and SDP as a control surface)

From: Matthew Kaufman (SKYPE) <matthew.kaufman@skype.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2013 03:59:46 +0000
To: Robin Raymond <robin@hookflash.com>, Martin Steinmann <martin@ezuce.com>
From: Robin Raymond [mailto:robin@hookflash.com]

	You keep talking about proprietary P2P systems but neglect that various SIP vendors are equally opposed to this SDP O/A mandate. This is _not_ a "new tech" vs "existing standards tech" issue.

	Nor is this SDP O/A mandate truly about compatibility with an existing industry. Not a single non-WebRTC-tailored device on the planet is compatible with WebRTC.

True.

	Yes, I would absolutely expect browser vendors to take into consideration the feedback of their developer community and adapt accordingly.

You'll get over that expectation some day.

	Nobody I'm aware of is suggesting throwing away everything and start from scratch. We want to control the RTP engine from JS without fighting with the SDP O/A mandate. That requires a clean RTP control API only. The signaling can be done entirely in JS, including SDP O/A.

Agreed, and this would be nice, but one gets the clear impression that we're supposed to be giving up now.

Matthew Kaufman