Re: [rtcweb] On babies and bathwater (was Re: Summary of Application Developers' opinions of the current WebRTC API and SDP as a control surface)

On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 10:31 AM, Adam Roach <adam@nostrum.com> wrote:

>  On 7/19/13 12:27, Peter Thatcher wrote:
>

>   But, honestly, any course of action that relegates this to the
>> applications seems to have the dual properties of forcing it to be
>> implemented hundreds of thousands of times while making the actual user
>> experience worse.
>>

>  Hundreds of thousands of times?
>

> How many web apps do you anticipate will use real time communications
> between now and the time that this work becomes obsolete?

That's an excellent point.  Along with that, how many will only be using
the data channel?  And how many will be using something other than SDP for
signalling?  And how many will be doing lots of SDP munging?  And how many
libraries will be written to hide the ugliness of SDP?  Hundreds of
thousands?

> It's not important to come to consensus on this number -- my key point
> here is that it's significantly more than the number of web browsers that
> will be developed in that time, and by several orders of magnitude.

That's an excellent point.  If we spent a little bit of extra work making a
really good API, think of how many people will benefit.  It's several
orders of magnitude more than the number of web browser that will need to
do a little bit of extra work to implement a good API.