RE: Discussing new API proposals

From: Matthew Kaufman (SKYPE) <matthew.kaufman@skype.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 18:55:45 +0000
To: cowwoc <cowwoc@bbs.darktech.org>
CC: "piranna@gmail.com" <piranna@gmail.com>, public-webrtc <public-webrtc@w3.org>, Stefan Håkansson LK <stefan.lk.hakansson@ericsson.com>
From: cowwoc [mailto:cowwoc@bbs.darktech.org] :

	    I just want to point out that you are mentioning two separate things here:
	1. Complexity of API: Leading to resistance by end-users.
	2. Complexity of implementation: Leading to resistance by implementors/integrators.
	    I have not heard of #2, though maybe that is because public-webrtc discussions are limited to #1.

As a browser vendor, I can tell you that putting a complete SDP offer/answer state machine inside a browser and making it compatible with the undocumented idiosyncrasies of the other browser vendors is even more difficult than getting an SCTP-over-DTLS stack in the layer of the OS where it would need to live in order to be compatible with how certain browsers are architected. But both are a problem.

Matthew Kaufman