Re: Moving forward with SDP control

On 16/07/2013 9:45 PM, Eric Rescorla wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 9:37 AM, cowwoc <cowwoc@bbs.darktech.org
> <mailto:cowwoc@bbs.darktech.org>> wrote:
>
>         This contradicts what I heard from Cullin and Adam (spec
>     editors) at WebRTC World. I was told that users are never supposed
>     to manipulate the SDP; rather, they are meant to drive changes
>     using the Constraints API. The only reason they are allowed to do
>     so today is because the Constraints API hasn't been completed yet.
>

> I think you misinterpreted them. The API *should* provide enough
>  flexibility
> that you rarely or ever need to modify SDP. However, that doesn't mean
> you can't do so.
>
> See:
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-rtcweb-jsep-03#section-6
>
> -Ekr

     They didn't say that you couldn't do so, rather that you shouldn't
ever need to do so. It was my understanding that SDP was left in place
to allow users to tap into experimental features before they became
standard (similar to prefixed CSS entries). My argument was that we
would be better off introducing prefixed Constraints or
implementation-specific Constraint methods rather than exposing SDP.

     Cullen and Adam, feel free to speak up if I misinterpreted what you
said.

Gili