Re: DOM Futures

* Alex Russell wrote:
>On Sun, Jul 14, 2013 at 10:34 PM, Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>wrote:
>
>> * cowwoc wrote:
>> > 3. Revisiting DOM Futures in light of the fact that the API has been
>> >    officially frozen since our last meeting:
>> >    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2013Jun/0075.html
>>
>> Tab Atkins told people "The spec is done." already back in mid-april,
>> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-script-coord/2013AprJun/0146
>> and much has changed since.
>
>This is inaccurate. Very little has changed. Semantically, only one
>corner-case is handled differently, and even then only in an observable way
>under special conditions. The naming has changed for some methods, but this
>was anticipated and indicates EVEN GREATER stability as it has been
>accepted by both TC39 and in the draft DOM spec.

My purpose was to make sure people understand what words like "done" and
"frozen" mean. Let's see, the API changed among minor things thus:

  FutureResolver -> PromiseResolver
    .accept -> .fulfill

  Future -> Promise
    .done -> ???

  + Promise.fulfill
  + Promise.resolve
  + Promise.reject

Plus behavioral changes. When I tell somebody a specification I work on
is "done" or tell them an API is "frozen" then they can be sure that it
is no longer possible to make changes of this magnitude. To you and Tab
Atkins the words obviously mean something else; it's good to have that
on record.

You might also want to clarify what Tab Atkins meant when he said that
"Promises aren't going to be a W3C deliverable anyway" in the message
above, considering your efforts to get "Promises" into W3C deliverables.