Re: Teleco Integrators vs Web Developers vs Browser Implementers

From: Eric Rescorla <ekr@rtfm.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2013 05:53:57 -0700
To: "piranna@gmail.com" <piranna@gmail.com>
Cc: Robin Raymond <robin@hookflash.com>, Ted Hardie <ted.ietf@gmail.com>, cowwoc <cowwoc@bbs.darktech.org>, Roman Shpount <roman@telurix.com>, Adam Bergkvist <adam.bergkvist@ericsson.com>, "public-webrtc@w3.org" <public-webrtc@w3.org>
On Sat, Jun 29, 2013 at 12:15 AM, piranna@gmail.com <piranna@gmail.com>wrote:

> It has been said always that SDP was choosed so WebRTC would be compatible
> with current VoIP devices and software, so you could make calls from your
> browser without needing a proxy. Problem is, that WebRTC has evolve a lot
> adding a lot of features (panswer SDP message,

Huh? PRANSWER is specifically designed to enable/model existing
SIP/SDP features, namely serial forking and 180.

 new codecs...)

Huh? At least for voice, both Firefox and Chrome support G.711, partly
for this reason. As for video, there has not yet been a decision on
codecs, and the question of backward compatibility is precisely one
of the big questions when we discuss H.264 vs. VP8.

-Ekr