Re: gUM's optional constraints algorithm penalizes user-choice chasing best-match for webpage

On 8/31/13 1:26 PM, Martin Thomson wrote:
> On 31 August 2013 00:43, Jan-Ivar Bruaroey <jib@mozilla.com> wrote:
>> The reason this works is that our (unchanged) core "remove-from-list"
>> algorithm ignores zero-reducing optional constraints, which makes it more
>> lenient the smaller the starting set is.
> I'd go even further and not remove anything that is marked with an
> optional constraint.  I'd use optional constraints to select a
> default, and maybe to order sources.

We could make further changes but I worry it wont generalize to all
constraints the way this relatively minor change does.

I also don't think we need to go further because what I'm proposing
achieves the same thing with less upset: By running discarded sources
through a second time individually, we get additional valid sources that
are less desirable than the finalSet, yet more desirable than the user
saying no.

A UI selector may then use this information to emphasize (make default,
sort etc.) desirable sources before less desirable sources.

> But I'm still a constraint-skeptic.  Feel free to ignore me, I'm
> clearly not in the consensus on this one.

.: Jan-Ivar :.