Re: [ACTION-43] (sdp related objects and global namespace) - way forward

From: Anant Narayanan <anant@mozilla.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2012 22:03:37 -0700
To: public-webrtc@w3.org
On 06/15/2012 03:07 AM, Adam Bergkvist wrote:
> On 2012-06-15 08:52, Harald Alvestrand wrote:
>> There's a reason why the action was recorded at it was; I thought that
>> once it was pointed out that we could reduce our pollution footprint, it
>> was obvious that we should do so.
>
> Sure, but IceCandidate and SessionDescription are only two of the names
> we introduce in the global namespace (others are DataChannel,
> PeerConnectionErrorCallback, ...). I think we need to be consistent or
> determine that some objects are special enough to be treated differently.
>
> I simply wanted to present our alternatives and get some comments from
> the people who had opinions about this on the meeting.

We should think long and hard before adding objects to the global
namespace. I do not know why all the callbacks and events are global
(they don't need to be, therefore they shouldn't be) and we can start by
removing them.

As for data channels, I think we can take the same approach as proposed
for SessionDescription and ICECandidate: PeerConnection.DataChannel.

-Anant