Re: Keeping up data channel

On 12 June 2012 13:15, Stefan Hakansson LK
<stefan.lk.hakansson@ericsson.com> wrote:
> I think we need to make developers close the PeerConnection when it is not
> needed. A way to promote this would of course be to make PeerConnection set
> up fast.

Unfortunately, responsiveness is also a trait that is valued highly.
Setup for data channels is currently prohibitively long.  Applications
that are not specifically targeting mobile users will have abysmal
performance on mobile networks initially.  Expect the radio to remain
on constantly.

I expect that many developers will come down on the wrong side of the
tradeoff, especially since we give them such an awful set of choices -
massive latency or massive battery use.  Natural selection of a sort
will prevail.  I suspect that problems will surface pretty quickly.
Mobile applications that are bad at this tend to get a reputation
pretty quickly and people stop using them.

--Martin