Re: [rtcweb] ICE Candidate Gathering - Basic Thought

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 4:23 AM, Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>wrote:

> On 02/13/2012 09:00 PM, Suhas Nandakumar (snandaku) wrote:
>
>> I was wondering why should we link ICE candidate gathering procedures to
>> call setup flow.
>> Can't this be done by browser periodically independent of RTCWeb call ?
>>
>> This may end up saving ton of time if the network topology doesn't
>> change frequently.
>>
>> Is this a valid argument ?
>>
> the chief problem with that thought is that with current APIs, the browser
> does not know which STUN/TURN server to use before the PeerConnection is
> created (it's an init parameter).
>
> If we want this separation, we would have to create some object
> (PeerConnectionFactory?) that would take the STUN/TURN server name as
> parameters, gather the candidates and generate a PeerConnection object with
> these candidates when required.
>
> This may be a Good Thing for other reasons (the rehydration case -
> reestablishing a connection when the user does "reload"), but does
> complicate the simple case.

One issue with this is that a single preallocator can't do the right thing
if you want to have multiple PeerConnections, or multiple unbundled m=
lines.

As an alternative, you could simply create a PeerConnection, call startIce
to gather candidates (pre-call), and only getUserMedia/send the offer when
you are ready to place the call.