Re: Low Level Javascript API Proposal

From: Neil Stratford <nstratford@voxeo.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2011 17:46:46 +0100
To: Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>
CC: public-webrtc@w3.org
Answers inline:

> - Where is the type "Media" (source and sink for the Stream object)
> defined?

It's not currently defined in this proposal though we are working
towards something similar to the concepts of getUserMedia() and
MediaStream in the current editor's draft.

> - Is a Stream supposed to be attached only to a source or a sink? Or is
> a Stream bidirectional?

A Stream is bidirectional with both a source and a sink attached if
required, though it could be unidirectional.

> - How would a Javascript figure out the right parameters of a codec? Is
> it effectively limited to only dealing with codecs that the Javascript
> author has seen before?

If there are codec specific parameters that the javascript wants to set
then it would require prior knowledge, however for simple codec
negotiation the javascript doesn't require any prior knowledge. We apply
a priority matching across the codecs returned by the local API and
those that match the far end.

> - A kind of philosophical question: Do you think it's possible to
> implement the PeerConnection interface in Javascript on top of this
> proposed interface?

That would certainly be the intention. The idea is really to split codec
and ICE negotiation apart, but retain the ability to combine in
javascript to provide a PeerConnection style SDP based API if required.