RE: MediaStreamTrack disabling - effect on downstream MediaStreams?

On 15 september 2011 14:16, Harald Alvestrand wrote:
>> We think the idea with parent and child relations between MediaStream
>> objects, where tracks suddenly appear in child streams and other side
>> effects, will be confusing for web developers and doesn't really add
>> anything.
>>
>> It would be more flexible and easier for developers to grasp if a new
>> MediaStream, constructed from another MediaStream, would have tracks
>> that are independent from its "parent" (even though they map to the
>> same underlying audio and/or video sources). The new MediaStream
>> would also get its own label.
> Hm - I'm not sure how that translates into pictures. Are you
> suggesting that when you clone a stream, you attach the input
> to the new stream object to the (conceptual) *input* of the
> cloned-from stream object rather than its (conceptual)
> output, and there being no way one MediaStream element can
> affect another MediaStream element directly?

Yes. I see a MediaStream object as a conceptual collection of
media sources.

> This means that MediaStream objects can't be used to model
> processing elements, which may actually be a Good Thing. Or
> not; I'm off to read the Audio prcessing proposal again in
> preparation for a coordination meeting between the W3C Audio,
> DAP and WEBRTC chairs later today - I may form more opinions.

At a later stage, we could introduce a media processing object,
which takes a MediaStream as its input and produces a new
MediaStream as its output. In this case it's the actual media
contents in the output MediaStream that is dependent on the
input source(s).

BR
Adam