Re: Screen sharing

On 12/1/2011 10:21 AM, Stefan Håkansson LK wrote:
> Related to use-case 4.2.7 "Simple Video Communication Service with
> sharing"
> (<http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-rtcweb-use-cases-and-requirements/?include_text=1>)
> we had a student experimenting a bit.
>
> Essentially, the screen was treated as another video source (just as a
> camera), and was transmitted to the other end as a MediaStream over a
> PeerConnection.

I believe this is similar to what Google is experimenting with in
Hangouts with Extras.  You can share a window or the entire screen.
Classic video codecs aren't necessarily the best for this, but they can
work well.

> The implementation of getUserMedia allowed the screen to be selected as
> a video source.

Yes, this was discussed earlier on in the rtcweb list and the rtcweb
interim call (when we dropped the proposal for a "remote access" use-case).

--
Randell Jesup
randell-ietf@jesup.org