RE: Use cases - recording and voicemail

From: Stefan Håkansson LK <stefan.lk.hakansson@ericsson.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2011 14:33:35 +0200
To: "Elwell, John" <john.elwell@siemens-enterprise.com>, "rtcweb@ietf.org" <rtcweb@ietf.org>, "public-webrtc@w3.org" <public-webrtc@w3.org>
John,
>> I'm less sure about that the recorded media should also be an
>> RTP source - couldn't you just as well send the file over and
>> then play it at the remote end?
>[JRE] Yes, the file could be streamed across, but there are folks who want it to get across more or less in real time, e.g., where the recorder is performing real-time analytics, perhaps in a >contact centre. This is the basis for the work done in the IETF SIPREC WG. The same considerations that require RTP browser-to-browser for RTC-Web also dictate RTP as the transport for >sending media to a recorder.
[Stefan] If you want to do stuff remotely in real time, could you not just avoid recording locally? Regardless of if the analysis is to happen on a locally generated stream, or on a stream received via RTP, that stream can be streamed to the analysing server (via a p2p-connection), right? (Probably I am missing something).

Stefan