Re: code.webplatform.org

Hi folks!

On 2014-08-06, 1:47 AM, PhistucK wrote:
> Of course feature detections should be used. I was asking for a minimal
> version for testing, not for unofficially supporting (unofficially, we
> should support any user agent on any operating system on any device).

Agreed.

> On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 5:35 AM, Rob^_^ <iecustomizer@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> don’t go blaming a ghost in the dark yet.....
>>
>> is anybody else having problems with IE11 on code.webplatform.org ?
>>
>> so far nobodys responded yes... It must be just me.

I just tried on my Modern.IE VM. It worked well. I.e.; I could create
a new gist, play with all buttons, and saved the gist [0].

Wonder how exactly your problem happened.

  [0]: http://code.webplatform.org/gist/e68d3f0d4d15d8c30694

>> The workaround of using another browser is no problem for me... I am
>> already using three.
>>
>> In answer to Phils question.
>>
>> Also, what is the minimal Internet Explorer version you expect to support?
>> 11? 10? 9? 8? Anything that docs.webplatform.org supports with
>> progressive enhancements?

The site needs HTML/CSS/JavaScript has to be reworked.

In fact i’d like to work on that once i’m done with a few projects;
Upgrading MediaWiki and a few infrastructure services, Moving servers to
DreamCompute, and of course SSO and Compatibility tables rollout.

I’d be happy to see community help there :P

<aside>
You might not be aware, but I started a small workspace within the
homepage GitHub repo [1] to start on this. At least to test various web
application contexts. The repo doesn’t have a lot, but its a starting point.

  [1]:
https://github.com/webplatform/www.webplatform.org/tree/master/src/documents/frontend-styleguide
</aside>

>> I think it should be IE8, IE9 and higher support addEventListener, inline
>> svg, and various levels of HTML5 and jsAPI’s.
>>
>> The major web sites like google and facebook already have policies that
>> states they will support the last three versions of any vendors browser.
>>
>> that said, I think it is important that code examples include feature
>> tests, not necessarily IE8or higher feature tests . Feature test for the
>> standard and offer a graceful fallback.

Indeed.

I agree, that’s the reality.

>> We should also be testing in iOS, Android, and more — both phone and
>> tablet sizes. Which is Safari on iOS, Android browser, Chrome mobile,
>> Firefox mobile, Opera mobile and mini, etc. I know it's more work, but this
>> is what we do, make websites for people. People who use a wide diversity of
>> devices. If things are well coded with progressive enhancement techniques,
>> then most stuff will work on all these devices. We should test on such
>> devices as well.

Please, remember that a year and a bit more ago, there was a lot of
work to do. People who participated in building the site most likely
knew about it and also knew it will be eventually be improved —Better
ship than nothing.

It’s easy to criticize work before us, I’m not white as snow myself.

Don’t we all want to go toward improving things. Let’s reframe our
mindset, go toward this goal, and make the steps to make it happen.

>> Testing before deployment — on a variety of browsers AND devices — will
>> prevent us from shipping broken stuff like this:
>> http://project.webplatform.org/infrastructure/issues/100

Wow.

I agree we need to be systematic. But I do not want to delay more
shipping features by talking or writing about things when I could work
toward having them, and documenting in the process.

Talking about the bar.

Did you plan breakpoints for it?  I'd like to address the flashing the
bar makes when we scroll on Google Chrome.

Let’s see how we can change the way to have that bar from within the
MediaWiki skin itself. I did read a bit SemanticMediaWiki source and,
with some time spent on it, might be able to have the HTML
code to be generated from PHP instead.

(truncated)

Renoir
~