Re: Compatibility tables are now live!

Hi all, see comments inline
--

On August 1, 2014 4:32:45 PM EDT, Amelia Bellamy-Royds <amelia.bellamy.royds@gmail.com> wrote:
>Hi Eliezer,
>
>Great work.  A couple notes:
>
>* We should still have a top-level check box to suppress printing the
>compatibility section altogether.

I agree.

>* The default value for format should be assigned in the
>Compatibility_Section template using the {{{format|table}}} structure.
>The
>default you specify in the form only applies to new pages, not existing
>pages, so existing pages have an error message instead of a table, see
>http://docs.webplatform.org/test/dom/apis/document/getElementById

I didn't  know it was impossible to force a default value on existing pages that we can change.

>* The auto-complete doesn't seem
>to be working for feature, so it's not
>really clear what value to put here.

This isn't done yet. Ill have to make it.

In the meantime a notice that links to the human readable json file[0][1] and the github repo[2] might be useful.

  [0]: http://docs.webplatform.org/compat/data-human.json
  [1]: http://docs.webplatform.org/compat/data.json
  [2]: https://github.com/webplatform/compatibility-data

>* The labels should clearly indicate
>that the topic and feature fields are
>only required if the WPD names
> don't match the MDN names.  (And then
>have some information on how
>people could figure out what the
>MDN name would be!)

Fair point, but will not be the case advitam æternam.

That's where default value based on URL was expected to be useful.

>Following up on Renoir's suggestion,
>one option would be to have a
>checkbox
>that says "Use default values", and
>only show/enable the other fields if
>that check box is turned off.  If possible, there could be some sort of
>error message that displays on the
>form itself if the default values
>won't return any data.

I can change the output to return no error instead. Logic in mediawiki markup is sketchy.

HTH

Renoir
~