Re: html5devconf notes

Oh, cool! Thanks for sharing this!

From: Eliot Graff <Eliot.Graff@microsoft.com<mailto:Eliot.Graff@microsoft.com>>
Date: Friday, October 25, 2013 3:20 PM
To: julee <jburdeki@adobe.com<mailto:jburdeki@adobe.com>>
Cc: WebPlatform Public List <public-webplatform@w3.org<mailto:public-webplatform@w3.org>>
Subject: RE: html5devconf notes

On Thurs, 2013-10-24 at 15:08, Julee Burdekin wrote:
>>I also found out that you and Doug were planning some meetings with stewards at TPAC, and want to hear more about those.

Hi Julie.

As you know, TPAC [1] is the annual F2F meeting for the W3C working groups. There are two, two-day blocks of sessions (WebApps meets Monday and Tuesday and HTML meets Thursday and Friday, for example) during which members try to make rapid progress through issues that they face. Much of the time is spent on specific blocking issues for specifications (I personally expect a lot of discussion around the test suites for the canvas and IndexedDB APIs) and time is also spent on general policy and philosophy. The agenda changes on Wednesday, when there is an unconference, in which any participant can suggest a session [2]. The sessions are voted for, and the ones with the most interest get heard.

This year’s meetings are in Shenzhen, China, so they’re a little out of the way. AFAIK, Doug and I are the only ones heavily involved in Webplatform who are attending, though there are quite a few there who are familiar with and supportive of the project. Since most of the attendees are spec editors or collaborators, Doug and I talked to see if there wasn’t a good opportunity to evangelize WPD while we were there (I thought we broached this during meetings, and I apologize if I wasn’t overt enough). He and I spoke once over the phone and have not finalized anything, but we were thinking along these lines:

Webplatform Docs, its status, and i18n: We want to make it easy for you to add content to WPD for the specs you're working on. (with a catchier title than this)

We’d touch on how editors and other invited experts could get involved with WPD, where we are in localizing and translating, talk about the mailing list and issue tracker, and solicit ideas for getting plugged into the spec source for automatic updates (the latter perhaps to happen in meetings with the W3C publishing team).

That was what we were thinking anyway. Doug and I have both been so busy that we haven’t taken this past the brainstorming phase. If you or any others have further thoughts, I would love to hear them. And if anyone else is planning on being at TPAC, please let us know.

I’m happy to discuss further on a call or in mail.

Hope this helps,

Eliot

[1] http://www.w3.org/2013/11/TPAC/
[2] http://www.w3.org/wiki/TPAC2013/SessionIdeas