Re: JavaScript documentation structure

Yes, thanks for getting involved, Zacharias!

I agree with PhistuK that we should maintain a distinction between the
JavaScript language reference and the standard browser APIs. I also agree
that the distinction between DOM APIs and so-called HTML5 APIs (or, just
APIs, as we call them) is not clear and probably should be reconsidered.
Because PhistucK is right that for most of these, the "key" method is
usually a member of a DOM top-level node object. See IndexedDB's
Window.IndexedDB.open() or WebRTC's Navigator.getUserMedia(). However, the
key method is used only once, and thereafter no further consideration of
DOM objects is necessary to work with the API. Also, recall that traversing
the DOM proper is expensive compared to calling the HTML5 APIs. That's the
distinction between API and DOM API.

For the API Project[1], we separated these APIs from the DOM APIs mostly
for convenience. We needed to develop a methodology[2] for writing API
documentation, to answer some basic questions - and surface issues -about
the information architecture, and to walk the path of reorganizing the mess
and filling the holes in the imported content. The result of the API
project is a cogent presentation that will inform our tackling of the DOM
API documentation.

I invite everyone interested to get acquainted with the DOM architecture,
our current DOM content, and consider the ways we might structure our
documentation. On the one hand we have the luxury of documenting a model
that is already defined in terms of a model (the M in DOM), on the other,
we are constrained to essentially one perspective on that model by virtue
of our requirement that the information architecture be delineated in our
URLs. Moreover, we need to keep those URLs short.

Anyway, I'm developing a proposal for the DOM APIs with all of these
considerations. I encourage, nay BEG, that others become acquainted with
the problem and get prepared to discuss their ideas.

~Scott

[1] http://docs.webplatform.org/wiki/WPD:Projects/api_docs
[2] http://docs.webplatform.org/wiki/WPD:Creating_API_pages
[3] http://docs.webplatform.org/wiki/apis/audio-video