Re: Posting Guidelines: Top or bottom posting

From my experience, strict posting guidelines tend to build more walls than they break down, and don't work that effectively unless it's a close knit group that gets on board with them pretty well. We've got a large, loose group to manage, so not ideal.

They also don't really make that much difference, unless you are having lots of long involved discussions with big threads.
we should have some guidelines, but not be too aggressive with people who don't stick to them. Instead, as long as the core group follows the guidelines and sets a good example, we can get a number of people on board with them, without too much hassle and bad feeling.

Chris Mills
Open standards evangelist and dev.opera.com editor, Opera Software
Co-chair, web education community group, W3C
Author of "Practical CSS3: Develop and Design" (http://my.opera.com/chrismills/blog/2012/07/12/practical-css3-my-book-is-finally-published)

* Try Opera: http://www.opera.com
* Learn about the latest open standards technologies and techniques: http://dev.opera.com
* Contribute to web education: http://www.w3.org/community/webed/