Re: WebPlatform Browser Support Info

Maximiliano Firtman schreef op 2013-10-18 16:09:
> Hi! I'm not dutch, but the Queen (consorte) Máxima of the Netherlands
> was born in Argentina, my home country ;)
>
> About browser identification, on mobile it's usually a mess. Some
> examples:
>
> 1) Chrome on iOS (in terms of compatibility) is the iOS Web View,
> that is 99.9% the same as Safari - it doesn't deserve a mention by
> itself but it's clearly not the same as Chrome on Android
> 2) Android default browser is not even the same on different devices
> with the same Android OS -such as the browser in Samsung devices, or
> some Sony devices with WebGL support-
> 3) Naming is complicated as it was stated before in this thread. For
> example, "BlackBerry Browser" is basically a different browser in 6.x,
> 7.x, BB10 and the PlayBook tablet. The same problem applies to "Nokia
> Browser"
>
> I think WURFL already has a clever way to identify a combination of
> browser/device based on the user agent and it uses a hierarchy
> mechanism to provide default values for properties while some specific
> devices can override them. WURFL also has an identifier per
> browser/platform. Look at it may be a good idea.

I've checked WURFL, but their licensing seems to be completely
incompatible. As in: we're not allowed to use it, unless we get a
license for one of their tools to access the data.
But wouldn't UA-strings suffice for mobile as well? Cause I've got a
hunch that that's exactly what they base their data on.

Ronald