Re: A first draft of the future Web Payments Interest group is available for comments

On 05/29/2014 04:17 PM, floris.kleemans@nl.abnamro.com wrote:
> Within my daily work as a strategist for a bank, we tend to use the
> term non-traditional currencies. This is an easy term that could
> apply to non-fiat money, digital, virtual and cryptocurrencies, all
> the way to for instance loyalty points (transferable items that carry
> value and could be used for purchases).

+1, seems to deal w/ the issues that both Joseph and Tobie raised.

We should keep the audience for the charter in mind as well, which is
(IMHO) these communities, in this order: the W3C community, the
broader Web/Internet technology community, the financial sector, the
general public, regulators and law makers.

We shouldn't get hung up on this terminology, especially since there is
confusion around exactly what these new math/network-based are (with no
end in sight). Whatever we pick is going to cause some amount of
confusion, and this one phrase, whatever it ends up being, isn't going
to derail the work. We will have to translate what we mean to other
groups from time to time, which is why Joseph is our liaison to groups
like UNCITRAL.

I do think that using "electronic tokens" is going to be more confusing
than "cryptocurrency", so if there is push-back on "cryptocurrency",
"non-traditional currencies" seems to be a good middle-ground.

We should mention "cryptocurrencies" somewhere in the charter because we
need to discuss how they fit into the work we intend to do and we
need to make that intent clear.

-- manu

Founder/CEO - Digital Bazaar, Inc.