Re: Web Payments and voucher URIs

On Tue, 20 Aug 2019 at 15:12, Adrian Hope-Bailie <adrian@hopebailie.com>
wrote:

> Hey Melvin,
> Have a looked at paymentpointers.org?
> The voucher could be $vouchersforyou.com/87t88yef76df7td7wtde7twde which
> translates to https://vouchersforyou.com/87t88yef76df7td7wtde7twde and is
> de-referenceable.

Thinking more about payment pointers I think we can go one better than
requiring BOTH the voucher AND the domain.

Im thinking of the use case of a lunch voucher that is accepted in many
restaurants (this may not be a great analogy)

What if you were to have a key pair.  The private key is used to redeem the
voucher.  The public key is used to look up where the server or servers are
which respect that voucher.  This could be stored on a set of well known
hosts, or ipfs, or use a bootstrap and gossip type protocol, or even stored
out of band.  You then can locate where to spend something just from the
number on the voucher.

Simplest implementation of this would be to have a site that lets you PUT
public key + host pairs, when a voucher is created, and you should DELETE
them when they are spent or expired, to save space.

Thus, you could simply send someone a link urn:voucher:abcdef...  and they
just click on the link and they are taken to a way to redeem it, spend it,
send it on etc.

This does not preclude the case where you send both pieces of information,
but just provides another work flow with fewer moving parts.

I could write this up in the spec.  A natural thing to use would be bitcoin
key pairs, since they are widely deployed, but in fact any hash or trap
door function, i think would work.