Re: Web Payments - 21 years ago

On 2015-11-12 15:06, David Jackson wrote:
> Anders,
> My apologies for the remedial nature of my comments / questions here.

Dear David,

The questions I raised are pretty complex and I certainly do not understand
everything.

 > 19 years ago I worked on the implementation of SET (as did many of us)
 > which did, in fact, rely on a central authority for security credentialing.
 > In this discussion, I do not follow why you say that the W3C work here is
 > reliant on a "super provider".

Well, that wasn't the intention, I only want to emphasize that a super provider
concept like PayPal is quite distinct from for example SET (which I'm familiar with).

> The work seems very well targeted at the
 > processing, flow, and participants without defining a super provider for
 > any processing step (again, unless I am missing something).
>
> On another topic, (not certain where it arose) -- I also do not see the
 > "betting-on" a browser wallet. I see the interest for improving the
 > payments process within the browser environment which is truly not
 > standardized and varies widely today.

Since I'm a hands-on-guy let me describe this in such terms:

What would for example PayPal (who on owns their Web Payment GUI) gain
by a new payment interface in the browser?  They are probably more
interested in FIDO for getting away from phishing scams etc.
(That PayPal is a founding member of FIDO doesn't come as a surprise).

So what's left then?  AFAICT Browser-wallets and Local wallets.

 > Having a browser which reaches out to a mobile app (unless I
 > misunderstood) seems that it would limit the work of this group to
 > those who have both browser and mobile app. That seems contrary to the work effort.

This is the correct interpretation, which is simply because I haven't
seen any signs of life in the region between PayPal (server-centric)
and Apple Pay (client-centric) solutions.

Yes, I know that the work is rather targeting checkout than payments.
Personally I don't think this will drive the market and that the core
idea (tunneling) haven't been fully verified to actually work.

Best regards
Anders