Re: A Decentralized Hashtable for the Web

From: Erik Anderson <eanders@pobox.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2015 08:53:20 -0500
To: Web Payments CG <public-webpayments@w3.org>
Its called Redis in active-active mode. Plenty of forks of redis out
there that can accomplish this. I have no proof but I suspect Blockchain
was originally a fork of Redis.

Additionally you cant have a decentralized Hashtable until you have a
"non-forking" trust mechanism.

I am still not convinced you can decentralize trust. Even 51% attack of
a proof-of-work majority is centralizing trust.

1 bad bug in a new deployment of a decentralized hashtable could destroy
the entire decentralized hashtable network. But thats what snapshots and
restore points are, right? Well you still need 51% of the network to
agree to rollback to a restore point.

Now spam the network with new hash entries and watch the hashtable bloat
in size and become un-maintainable.

Technology is just not there and network/memory/disk resources are still
expensive so few are willing to maintain this.

We are still 10 years from seeing something like this from being even
remotely mature enough to reach adoption.

Erik Anderson
Bloomberg