Re: A Decentralized Hashtable for the Web

From: Asbjørn Ulsberg <asbjorn@ulsberg.no>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2015 13:26:39 +0100
To: Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com>
Cc: Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com>, Web Payments CG <public-webpayments@w3.org>

>> I'm sorry if this has been mentioned already, but what you describe
>> sounds a lot like Keybase. How does WebDHT compare to it?
>>
>> https://keybase.io/
>
> keybase is still in early stages, and there is not much in the way of web
> standards there, so IMHO it would benefit I think from using the work on the
> credentials CG

Yes, of course. I'm just thinking conceptually, architecturally and
technically, to wrap my head around how WebDHT could look like and
work in practice. I think Keybase provides a great implementation of
cryptographically signed and verified identity on the web today. It is
young, yes, but solid. In my humble opinion, of course. I'm as far
from being a cryptographer as a shoe salesman.

> from what I see the same (or at least very similar) technology e.g. for
> signing is used in both credentials and webDHT

Great. That makes it easier to understand.

> I think combining this technology with a keybase like identity system and
> payments is a good idea

That's my thought too. I'll try to poke them about the work on WebDHT
so they can contribute with their experience in this field. I think
that would be very valuable.

> *disclaimer* im working on an early stage open source system to do
> exactly that :)

Cool! Have you looked at the open source stuff Keybase have published?

https://github.com/keybase

--
Asbjørn Ulsberg           -=|=-        asbjorn@ulsberg.no