Re: [Payments Architecture] A vision statement for the web payments architecture work

I would like to offer the follow two adjustments to the "Vision Statement"

***

CURRENT TEXT:
*Increases payers' choice of how to make payments.* We seek to enable
people to pay with their preferred payment instruments and payment schemes
and to increase the choice of payment instruments and payment schemes
available to them.

PROPOSED:
*Provides payees and payers unencumbered knowledge and choice in how to
undertake payments.* It is consistent with purpose of the Web to enable
payees to receive payments, and payers to pay, using their preferred
payment instruments and payment schemes. The Web payments architecture must
not restrict these choices.

***

CURRENT TEXT:
*Facilitates compliance with regulatory obligations.* The Web is a global
system and thus we do not believe we will conceive of a payments
architecture that satisfies all regulatory obligations in detail. The
group, therefore, envisions a minimal set of “hooks” that enable different
parties to meet the regulatory requirements in their jurisdictions.

PROPOSED:
*Facilitates compliance with legal obligations.* As the Web is a global
system, the Web payments architecture will align to current official
interpretations of the UNCITRAL Model Law on International Credit Transfers
[1] and the UNCITRAL Model Law on Electronic Commerce [2]. It is left to
implementers and users to meet the legal requirements in their
jurisdictions of operation.

[1] UNCITRAL Model Law on International Credit Transfers
http://www.uncitral.org/uncitral/en/uncitral_texts/payments.html
[2] UNCITRAL Model Law on Electronic Commerce
http://www.uncitral.org/uncitral/en/uncitral_texts/electronic_commerce.html

--
Joseph Potvin
Operations Manager | Gestionnaire des opérations